In July, my laptop was knocked off my bed and the hard drive suffered damage. All the recent files I’d been working on were corrupted including Competitive Dreams. But I did not remember to turn off my automatic backup software and it backed up the damaged Competitive Dreams file. So, I did a file recovery to get the book and it said it was 90,000 words and I was like “awesome!” and sent it for the first round of editing.
Those edits were completed September 4th and since then… I have worked on rewriting the last 10 or chapters because apparently the recovered file was incomplete and I lost the last 10 chapters or roughly 20,000 words of Competitive Dreams.
I started doing automatic backups because I forget to backup consistently and after losing Avenging Reality in February of 2020… I decided I needed to do something about it. Losing Avenging Reality was a software problem, I upgraded the writing program I used and somehow futzed it up and didn’t have a good backup of it. Competitive was lost due to a hardware issue… Sometimes I wonder if all this technology is really making life better.