In late August, I will officially reach the 4 year mark as an indie author. It hasn’t always been easy and there have been times when I have thought that I must be out of my mind to continue. Writing isn’t hard for me, but publishing, marketing, etc is. However, most months I don’t need a part time job flipping burgers to pay my bills, which is nice (April always sucks for me though and I do wonder about the part time job during that month).
Sorry, got distracted during the intro… Anyway, you can blame my niece for this post. She walked in the other day, handed me Fortified Dreams (I had loaned her a proof to read at her boring day job) and said something along the lines of “I’m really glad you wrote that one so that I didn’t get bored with the series. It was much different and will help keep me interested a while longer.” She didn’t mean it to sound like an insult, even though it sort of did, but I can also relate. I’ve lost interest in many a series because as the volume numbers climbed, the originality was lost and it seemed like a rehashing of old plot lines for new books. (B – Did you really think I wasn’t going to give you shit about that? :-P) It got me thinking about all the things that have been said or asked of me over the last four years… I’m sharing my favorites.
- So, you write books, with like, words in them?
- But you’re a woman.
- Am I going to like this?
- Did you come up with the plot or did someone else?
- You’re a writer, that’s so cute.
- I thought writers worked in coffee shops and guzzled coffee.
- You don’t look like a writer.
- I don’t actually read books, but if I did, I would probably try to read one of yours.
- Do you write your books yourself?
- I didn’t realize you were a writer, I thought you were a lesbian. (I must have missed the job fair where Lesbian was discussed as a career option…)
- I never read books by women, they’re silly.
- Aren’t all writers alcoholics?
- You can make money doing that?
- So, you spend all day thinking about sex.
- People still read books?
- Can you get me Author X’s autograph?
- Do you know anyone famous?
However, my all time favorite:
- When you write, do you just make up the words as you go or do you have to learn the language first? (WTF?!?)
Enjoy your Monday!