The name Jeffrey Dahmer is synonymous with cannibalism and with good reason, as he is one of the most infamous American serial killers of all time. However, he isn’t alone. Albert Fish admitted to eating parts of his victims. Andrei Chikatilo claimed to have killed and eaten over 50 people. Even Jack the Ripper proclaimed that he had eaten half a kidney of one of his victims (Jack will get his own post later on with my thoughts). Unfortunately, it happens more than we think.
However, the scariest part of cannibalism is that it isn’t reserved for serial killers. As a matter of fact, cannibalism seems to happen less often among serial killers than those who commit a single murder.
2000 – Present:
- Joseph Oberhansley had served time for manslaughter in Utah and was living in Indiana, when he murdered his girlfriend (the second one he killed) and then ate portions of her.
- Tyree Smith was invited into an abandoned building to get out of the cold by his victim. He had been sleeping on the porch of the building and his victim, a homeless man, was attempting to assist him during the brutal Connecticut winter. For an unknown reason, once inside, Smith attacked the other man with an axe. He ate the eyeball and bits of his victim’s brains in a cemetery.
- Katherine Knight killed her live in partner and then prepared his body to feed to their children. Another woman killed and then cannibalized her 3 week old child. Yet another woman killed her husband and ate him. Evidence supports that the victim was alive when she began cutting him up.
However, two cases stand out for me, one from Canada, the other from Germany:
- Vincent Li boarded a long distance bus in Manitoba, Canada. The bus was in motion, when Li pulled out a knife and began to stab the man in the seat across the aisle. After stabbing him several times, Li beheaded his victim (as well as cutting off other limbs) and began chewing on the severed body parts. (The first time I heard of this case, it was told to me by a First Nations person and he introduced me to the concept of the wendigo. Later, I saw it on a TV show).
- Armin Meiwes was a rather unremarkable person by all accounts, at least before he posted an advert in a newspaper requesting a volunteer to be eaten. He got a response! In a strange, macabre case of truth is stranger than fiction, his victim arrived at his house, they set up a video tape and recorded the entire incident. Meiwes killed, butchered, and then ate his volunteer. The Rammstein song Mein Teil was reportedly written in response (I love Rammstein).
*Author’s Note: You would believe looking at me that this was the kind of information my brain catalogued and stored for future use.